The Most Controversial Figure In History
When you hear the name “Jesus”, what comes to mind? Never in history has a name been so passionately loved and hated by people throughout the world. Most historians and experts (including believers, agnostics and atheists) agree that Jesus, the person, existed. The debate is not really about His existence, but rather His own claims of divinity, and the claims of His divinity in the Bible.
Here are some details about Jesus, prophesied by scripture hundreds of years before Jesus was born:
- Jesus was born a little over 2,000 years ago through a virgin (Mary), conceived by the Holy Spirit.
- Jesus lived a sinless life.
- Jesus loved and cared for the poor, sick, homeless, widows, orphans, and the down and out.
- Jesus performed many miracles in His ministry here on earth, including healing the blind, deaf, and even raising the dead.
- Jesus confronted the religious systems of the day and rebuked religious leaders for their hypocrisy.
- Jesus developed a following of thousands through His ministry, but specifically poured most of His time into 12 disciples, who would continue Jesus’ mission and revolutionize the world.
- Jesus claimed His own divinity and was eventually prosecuted for blasphemy.
- Jesus was executed on a wooden cross when He was 33 years old.
- Three days after His death and burial, Jesus was resurrected and lived 40 days on earth among His disciples before ascending to heaven.
Jesus made the most astonishing claims, not only about God and society, but also about Himself. He claimed to have the authority to forgive sins, to be the representative of all humanity that came to die in order to reconcile man to God, and to be the only way for people to attain eternal salvation.
We believe that His death and resurrection gives the divine endorsement that His teachings and claims are true, and that He is truly the Son of God.
It’s All About Jesus
On the foundation that Jesus’ teachings are true and the Bible is without error, we’ll let scripture speak for itself:
“In the beginning was the Word [Jesus], and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him was not any thing made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.”
John 1:1-5 (ESV)
“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.”
John 3:16 (ESV)
“I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know Him and have seen Him.”
John 14:6-7 (ESV)
Francis Chan puts it very well, “It’s crazy if you think about it. The God of the universe — the Creator of nitrogen and pine needles, galaxies and e-minor — loves us with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love. And what is our typical response? We go to church, sing songs, and try not to cuss. But aren’t you hungry for an authentic faith that addresses the problems of our world with tangible, even radical, solutions? God is calling you to a passionate love relationship with Himself. Because the answer isn’t working harder at a list of do’s and don’ts — it’s falling in love with Jesus. Because when you’re wildly in love with Him, it changes everything.”
God is calling everyone, not to a religion, but into a real and intimate relationship with Him through Jesus. You can know God personally! Getting to know Jesus and following Him is where you will find true and eternal life, peace, joy, pleasure, purpose, and significance.
If you are not a follower of Jesus and would like to start that journey, we want to help you. There is no magic set of prayer-words that do “the trick”, but salvation is a free gift of God. Simply confess that Jesus is the Son of God, believing in your heart that Jesus died to pay the penalty for your sins, and was raised from the dead, conquering sin and death. Fully surrender your heart and life to Jesus, and begin getting to know Him and obeying everything he teaches you.
If you are not ready to surrender to Jesus, but want to speak with someone at Journey Church, feel free to contact us by phone or using the form below. We would be happy to talk with you about your story and your questions.