October is here, and our excursion through the book of Acts is in full swing. As Pastor Jimmy makes his way through the major themes of the book, central to all of them is the idea that the Holy Spirit empowers disciples to be His witnesses. Acts 1:8 says, “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” Most Bible scholars view Acts 1:8 as the key verse that unlocks the entire book of Acts. Jesus left us with his final commission and marching orders in Matthew 28:18–20. And He left us with a final promise here in Acts 1:8–that the Holy Spirit would empower us to continue the work Jesus began. In a very real sense, the book of Acts (and continuing right up through the age of the church that we currently live in) is all about continuing the movement Jesus began.
This past weekend, Pastor Jimmy explained two primary ways disciples stunt the growth of the Jesus movement: 1) When we overcomplicate the system. This happens, for example, when we inadvertently teach people that they need eight years of seminary to lead someone to Jesus; and 2) When we devalue discipleship. If we are going to keep the movement alive, we must recover discipleship as the engine that drives everything we do as a church. It all hinges on discipleship.
In light of the above themes, our worship team has worked hard to lead congregational songs that highlight these themes and provide continuity and consistency for our church body.
Here are some of the setlists and songs that explore the themes of Holy Spirit empowerment, missional living, evangelism, and Jesus Christ as Lord, King, Savior, and God.
- Our Confession – Our Confession is a new Journey original song we hope to release in the near future. It explores the confessional nature of our faith–that salvation is found in Christ alone, that Christ died, was buried, and rose again, that He is our High Priest who ever lives to intercede for us, etc. The chorus says, “So we proclaim your name alone, Jesus the Savior of the world. The one crucified and raised to life, our hearts adore You.” Email me at if you’d like a copy of the demo.
- Send Me Out – https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/send-me-out/id333329500?i=333330904 This is an older Steve Fee song that highlights the missional sending nature of God. It is a call to action for the church…and it’s really fun to sing! 🙂
- Salvation’s Tide – https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/salvations-tide-feat-kristian-stanfill/id1067150683?i=1067151010 – This song is a powerful anthem that marries two important themes: the diversity of the body of Christ (and how that should actually drive us toward great levels of Christian unity and mission), and God’s desire to have worshipers from every nation, tribe, and tongue. Given the cultural climate of America right now, your church should be singing this!
- Love So Great – https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/love-so-great-live/id1155329167?i=1155329234 This song is a super-singable, vertical expression of praise and adoration to the “Lord Almighty [who] outshines all the stars in glory.” It is a simple, yet powerful anthem.
- Glorious Day – https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/glorious-day-feat-kristian-stanfill-live/id1206165615?i=1206165822 Glorious Day is one of those instant anthems for Journey Church. From the first chorus, I could hear people singing. It is horizontal in nature (expressing what God has done for me in testimonial style), yet has a unique vertical feature as well, addressing God as the one who has done this amazing work of raising the dead to life. It’s also super fun to sing! 🙂
- God With Us – https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/god-with-us-feat-bryan-torwalt-live/id1067169182?i=1067169418 Another fantastic tune from Bryan and Katie Torwalt, God With Us expresses beautifully and artistically the truth that God came in human flesh in the person of Jesus Christ. He is Immanuel. He is the one who feels every pain we feel, cries with us in our sorrow, laughs with us in our joy, and carries us when we can’t walk.
Download all of these songs, put them in your playlist, and get in God’s presence. If you would like a demo of Our Confession, email me at and I’ll be happy to pass it along.